Menu DEVPPL Search
MEMBERS
TOPICS
FLASH GAMES
TUTORIALS

Login

E-mail:
Password:

How to crop one particular part of image. Just that part.

Join this free Photoshop forum and learn from all out other members.

How to crop one particular part of image. Just that part.

Postby Animatore » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 am

Hi everyone. I started to use PhotoShop CS3 and Anime Studio Pro. My idea is to use PhotoShop to cut different parts from images and to animate them in Anime Studio. For example I can take screenshot from Terminator movie and cut T1000 arms, legs, torso...etc and then rejoin them in Anime Studio and us them in animation. But.....I am newbie in PhotoShop and I don't know how to save JUST part of image. I can cut part of the photo but I still have white background where was rest of the image before. How to crop just one particular part of the photo and export as JPG or PNG ????

Thanks
Animatore

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0

How to crop one particular part of image. Just that part. - Sponsored results

Sponsored results

Login to get rid of ads

Postby Retro Art » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 am

Hi Animatore,

you can't save an image with an alpha channel as a jpg, it will end up with a white background. .png or .tif would be a better option in this case.

The easiest way to explain how to do this would be to crop out the area you want with the crop tool first. Isolate the area you want with a combination of selection tools (Marquee, lasso, magic wand, quick selection etc.) and hit the layer mask button at bottom of the layers palette. Using a channel mask allows you to refine your selection outline even after isolating your desired object.

Hope it helps
Retro Art

Postby Animatore » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 am

Retro Art wrote:Hi Animatore,

you can't save an image with an alpha channel as a jpg, it will end up with a white background. .png or .tif would be a better option in this case.

The easiest way to explain how to do this would be to crop out the area you want with the crop tool first. Isolate the area you want with a combination of selection tools (Marquee, lasso, magic wand, quick selection etc.) and hit the layer mask button at bottom of the layers palette. Using a channel mask allows you to refine your selection outline even after isolating your desired object.

Hope it helps

Thanks Retro Art. I realize that I have to save my photo pieces in PNG format. I am using FILTER/EXTRACT option to cut out parts of photo. I can do that with QUICK SELECTION tool but I don't know how to use that channel mask which you mentioned. I stil have white background when I use Quick Selection tool although that option make my photo cuts most precise because of REFINE EDGE option....

How can I use the Quick Selection tool to crop part of image and Refine Edge option to get precise results and then to export just that part of photo as PNG to Anime Studio ?

Thanks a lot
Animatore

Postby Retro Art » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 am

Hi Animatore,

Once you have selected the object you want to cut out i.e. crawling ants around the object. Go to the bottom of the layers palette, you will see a button with gray square and a white circle in it. That is the channel mask button. Press it and you should have masked out your unwanted area i.e. checked squares instead of white. After that you can simply go to file>save as and save as a .png.
Retro Art

^ Back to Top