MEMBERS
TOPICS
FLASH GAMES
TUTORIALS

Login

E-mail:
Password:

Micrography in Photoshop

Join this free Photoshop forum and learn from all out other members.

Micrography in Photoshop

Postby Voyager » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Novice here so go easy on me. :)

Anyone here know of any clever ways to create Micrography in Photoshop using a pre-existing image?

Here is an excellent example of Micography. Carson Grier, creater of LA Pop Art, made this illustration of Don Corleone using the script of The Godfather.

I was wondering if maybe there was a way to take a pre-existing image of say, a mountain range, then take all of the text from a word doc, create an image using the two and then shade the text to create lighting effects, much like the image above.

Any ideas?
Voyager

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0

Micrography in Photoshop - Sponsored results

Sponsored results

Login to get rid of ads

Postby Rachjm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:53 pm

That should be easy enough. What I'd do is:

1 - Open your image - right click and choose "Layer from background > OK"
2 - Choose "Image > Adjustments > Desaturate"
3 - Create a new text layer (click+drag to draw a text box that's the same size as your canvas)
4 - Copy and paste your Word document text (in black) into the text box
5 - Drag your text layer so that it's underneath your image layer
6 - Add a plain white bacgkround layer (Shift+CTRL+N, then fill with paint bucket) and make sure that it's underneath all of your other layers
7 - Right-click on your main, grayscale image and select "Create clipping mask"

Hope you didn't find that too complicated - it's really very quick. What'll take you the most time is picking a font that you like and getting that text packed nice and close together so that plenty of your image shows through... :)
Rachjm

Re: Micrography in Photoshop

Postby Jerryb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:13 pm

hi,
first keep in mind what ever meathod is used depend on the picture..

now i am just a novice... but one way to achieve a similar result is to use displacement map.... this link shows really just the basics of adding text to a image and using a displacment map..... in your case you would be using whole paragraphs.. smiling...
http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop ... -maps.html

voyager wrote:Novice here so go easy on me. :)

Anyone here know of any clever ways to create Micrography in Photoshop using a pre-existing image?

Here is an excellent example of Micography. Carson Grier, creater of LA Pop Art, made this illustration of Don Corleone using the script of The Godfather.

I was wondering if maybe there was a way to take a pre-existing image of say, a mountain range, then take all of the text from a word doc, create an image using the two and then shade the text to create lighting effects, much like the image above.

Any ideas?
Jerryb

Postby Impulsive » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:21 pm

You lost me... How can displacement maps bring something constructive to this piece ?..
You mean just for creating an hand writed wave into the text?...

I'm gonna try something myself, and if it renders something good, I'll post it here.

Imp...
Impulsive

Postby Rachjm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:27 pm

Impulsive wrote:You lost me... How can displacement maps bring something constructive to this piece ?

Agree ^^ Displacement maps are pretty cool but I don't see how they would help to produce this kind of artwork? Perhaps you could whip up an example for us to see exactly how you would apply displacement mapping in this case?
Rachjm

Postby Rexburgre » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:19 pm

if you don't mind gibberish for text you could try something like http://www.typorganism.com/asciiomatic/ that...
Rexburgre

Postby Dflynn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:02 pm

I think JerryB is jsut a bit confused on what the Displacement Map does vs. what the effect we're achieving is.

The effect is a picture overlayed onto text instead of text overlayed onto the image.
Dflynn

^ Back to Top